The Lesotho Water and Sewerage Company (WASCO) invite applications from suitably qualified Local Candidates for the following position:
Job Title : LEGAL OFFICER
Reports to : CHIEF LEGAL OFFICER AND COMPANY SECRETARY
Purpose of the Role:
To provide legal advice and support to WASCO is all matters including representing WASCO in litigation and drafting legal documents including contracts as well as providing secretaryship to WASCO governance structures.
- Initiate and/or assist in issuing summons to defaulting customers.
- Guide investigations of customers who have made illegal connections or vandalise WASCO infrastructure.
- Obtain the necessary documents to facilitate securing of titles/leases for WASCO immoveable properties.
- Facilitate claims from the insurance of WASCO properties
- Conduct research and draw up legal opinions on a variety of legal matters affecting WASCO
- Liaise with external lawyers and Association of Lesotho Employers and Businesses (ALEB) where necessary to ensure that the organization enjoys the best legal representation
- Draft and review all legal contracts between WASCO and other parties
- Advise WASCO Management and staff on compliance and all matters relating to interpretation of laws that WASCO has to observe in dealing with its staff, customers and the members of public
- Manage cases assigned to him or her by Chief Legal Officer and Company Secretary and represent the company in all litigation matters in Courts of Law, tribunals and other dispute resolution forums
- Provide legal advice on issues of contracts, legislative compliance, disputes and industrial relations
- Vet WASCO policies to ensure consistency with WASCO Policy on Policies Development and relevant laws and regulations.
- Provided secretaryship to WASCO governance structures as assigned by the Chief Legal Officer and Company Secretary.
- Proactively advise Chief Legal Officer and Company Secretary of ways to avoid or mitigate potential claims against WASCO
- Operational Decision-Making
- Team work
- Continuous Improvement and Service Delivery Innovation
- Citizen/ Customer Responsiveness
- People management
- Communication and Information Management
- Planning and organizing
- Project implementation
Minimum Qualifications & Experience
- Degree in Law (LLB) and admitted to practise law in Lesotho as an Attorney or Advocate with a minimum of five years’ legal practise, preferably in a reputable law firm or public institution.
Salary and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Submission of Applications
Applications accompanied by detailed CV, names of two referees, certified copies of educational certificates and transcripts should be submitted to:
The Human Resource Manager
Water and Sewerage Company
P.O. Box 426
The closing date for submissions of applications is 21ST FEBRUARY 2020.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Correspondence will only be conducted with short-listed candidates.
- Selection interviews for short-listed candidates will be at a date, time and place determined by WASCO.
- Short-listed candidates will be required to authenticate information provided in the CV.
- WASCO reserves the right to leave an advertised position unfilled if no suitable candidate is identified.
- The employment of successful candidate is subject to positive police clearance.