Prepaid Metering System
How are they used?
The device requires consumers to pay for water before consumption by purchasing a prepaid card. Consumers can then draw water from the meter by inserting the prepaid card into the meter and collecting the water in a portable container. As service is delivered, the balance is adjusted, and the remaining credit displayed. Service is automatically terminated if the payment balance is depleted until the consumer can pay again.
- Substantial cost savings and recovery of capital expenditure especially in administrative expenses (example: billing and collection)
- Disconnection of water supply is carried out by the consumer instead of by the companies, since service automatically terminates once funds are depleted
- Reduced water consumption
- Quick detection of water theft or leaks
- Reduction in customer queries that usually take a lot of time to resolve, as the device enables the consumers to monitor their own water consumption as the meter displays credit amount remaining thereby alerting the consumer as to how much remains in the token.
How to pay for your water
- Go to WASCO headquarters, post office, Shoprite outlets and vendors where there will be a cashier or a person to sell you as much water as you want.
- You decide how much water you can afford.
- The cashier/vendor will take the money you have paid and transfer it into your token.
- This token has a handle and a magnetic disc which contains your meter number and the amount of water you have bought.
- Press the token firmly against this part of the meter, where there is a touch port.
- Your meter has now been instructed to deliver the amount of water you purchased. You can check to see if the amount of water you have purchased is correct by reading the numbers on the dial.
- When you have three thousand litres (3000L) the water will stop to remind you to take your token to WASCO headquarters, post office or vendors to buy more water. To use the last 3000 litres of water, touch the token firmly against the hole in the meter as described in point number 5.
Remember: The token belongs to you only. It will not work on other meters. Keep your token safe. Do not lose your token; it is your proof of payment and your personal key to giving your family water. If you lose your token you have to purchase a new one. If your token does not work properly go back to WASCO and report it.
Take note of the following important points:
If anybody tampers, interferes or vandalizes your meter the supply of water to your house will stop.
Touch Port – Place you token against this space to instruct the meter to deliver water.
Stop tap: Turn this handle to stop the water to your house. You must turn your water off before doing any repairs to taps or toilet cistern.
Credit Window: Look at the numbers here to see how much credit you have left to use before buying more water using your own token.
If you do not understand these instructions ask your customer care staff to personally explain to you how you can buy water for your family using this prepaid procedure.
Standing charge for pre paid meters is charged per week but the total cost is still M40.90 and this is divided into four. The charge is subtracted from the credit on the token.
Other services provided by WASCO to the public are public stand pipes which mainly cater for members of the community who cannot afford to pay for individual supply of water in their premises. Community members purchase tokens and use them to draw water from the public stand pipes.sers of the tap and pay WASCO’s water bill on monthly basis.